An experienced educator with a Master’s degree in education from Wheelock College in Boston and an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults, Mary has taught preschoolers through college students. She is now a K-2 Literacy Coach at a Cape Cod elementary school.
Mary has taught at three different colleges over the years: Cape Cod Community College, Bridgewater State University, and Fisher College in Boston. Courses include Poetry in the Early Childhood Classroom, Children’s Literature, Literacy & the Young Child, Reading and Writing Cape Cod.
Creative Writing teaching experience:
- Candy Dish Writers class for teens at Harwich Junior Theatre
- Creative writing to incarcerated women at Barnstable County Correctional Facility (video interview)
- Middle-school poetry presentations at Nauset Regional Middle School, Cape Cod Lighthouse Charter School (Cape Cod, MA), and St. Luke’s School (South Bronx, NY)
Early Childhood Professional Development Topics:
- “Emotional Literacy through Picture Books: Building Two Strengths at Once”
- “Vitamin P: Enhancing the Reading Experience with Poetry”
- “You, Me and the Picture Book: Read-Aloud Strategies.”
- “Raising a Reader:” a professional development course for children’s librarians at Bridgewater State Univesity-Cape Cod.
College Essay tutoring
Mary provides one-on-one tutoring to high school juniors and seniors to help them craft their college essays. Contact Mary for appointment info and rates.